Cleaner Cars, Cleaner Air
We can drastically cut global warming pollution and reduce smog, simply by switching to cleaner cars — including ones that release zero emissions. The technology exists, so we’re calling on our leaders to enact commonsense policies to help us make the transition.
Dirty air, a warming planet
Cars are the single largest source of air pollution in the state, and the biggest contributor to smog and global warming. Nearly 40% of the state’s global warming emissions come from transportation. What’s more, if we do nothing, pollution and our dependence on oil could get much worse.
If California is going to continue to lead the way on solving global warming, if we are going to clean up our air, if we are to rebuild our economy green, we need to start making cars that are not only greener but are zero-polluting.
Our vision for zero-pollution cars
We can start making cars that are not only greener, but are zero-polluting — renewing our economy and cleaning our air.
It’s possible, and it’s necessary. Already, some plug-in hybrids achieve up to 100 miles per gallon and 100% fuel-free cars are being sold that go 200 miles on a single charge. Nearly every major auto maker is already manufacturing an all-electric car.
What’s more, green car technology can help create a new green economy. Green cars save us money at the pump, and require far less maintenance.
With your activism and our advocacy, we can have cleaner air
We’re working to put clean, green cars on the road in record numbers and ultimately phase out the use of fossil fuels within our transportation sector. Clean car solutions like electric cars will not only reduce air pollution but they will create jobs as well.
The next step is to convince the California Air Resources Board to adopt strong standards for vehicle emissions.
We’re testifying in Sacramento, educating lawmakers, and shining a spotlight in the media on the need for California to continue to lead the way on clean car technologies.
Thousands of you have joined the fight too. Across the state, you’re calling or emailing state and federal decision-makers, signing petitions, and spreading the word to your friends and family.
Your activism and our advocacy are a powerful combination. Over the years, California clean car regulations have helped cut pollution from automobiles by more than 85%. But the auto industry and their allies are fighting progress at every turn, because they fear that it will temporarily hurt their bottom line — even though the truth is that green cars can provide a huge boost to our economy.
We need you to get involved if we’re going to truly shift away from polluting cars. If enough of us speak out, we can kick our addiction to oil and put innovation and progress in the driver's seat. Join our campaign by urging the California Air Resources Board to adopt strong standards for vehicle emissions.
Join thousands of your friends and neighbors in protecting our air, water and open spaces by donating to Environment California.
- Our federal global warming program director, Nathan Willcox, thanked President Obama for announcing a plan to double fuel efficiency standards nationwide by 2025. California paved the way with our pioneering clean cars standards, which Environment California helped win.
- California is home to the worst smog pollution in the country, largely because of pollution from cars and trucks.
- California is already feeling the effects of global warming brought about in large part by pollution from cars. An increase in catastrophic wildfires with faster and more intense burning is associated with warming. Drought and a decline in fresh drinking water supplies have also emerged as urgent problems for the state.
- Green cars save us money at the pump, and require far less maintenance.
- With support from members, we’ve fought for — and won — improvements that have cut auto emissions by 85%.